Sunday, May 01, 2005

The waiting is the hardest part

Most of life, it seems, we wait. We wait for traffic. We "wait a minute" for someone. We wait for our main course at a good restaurant. We wait for the bus. We wait for 5 o'clock to get here. We're waiting for the weekend. We wait until the last minute to do our taxes. We wait until the last possible instant to merge into traffic. We are a society of waiters.

I to wait. I have watched the dog this past week. The soon-to-be 16 year old Peke. With her assorted sounds, smells and needs, she makes an interesting bed-warmer. But I have still not gotten much sleep with her around. I'm averaging 2-4 hours a night. I cannot live like this much longer. I feel like a parent. When I'm at work I'm worried that she might forget where her water bowl is or something else significant like that. Anyways, the parents were supposed to come back today. I was supposed to drop the dog off with them this afternoon. I cancelled all my plans for the day. It's almost midnight and they've still not shown up yet. I'm tired and I want to go to sleep. But still I wait, still I wait.

No comments: