Saturday, February 19, 2005

Ok, it's been a month

Ok, it's been a month and I've not written anything. It's not just that I've not written anything substantial, it's that I've written nothing. My new position at work is very time demanding and drains my energy to a large extent. I suppose that is my way of posturing and avoiding the reality that I am a lazy bastard. I have written several songs in the interim, but no writing and barely any reading.

So I have decided to undertake a journey of sorts. I am going to follow Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and reflect upon it chapter by chapter. Hopefully piecing together a journey of my own and resolving some of my own personal challenges. Before I undertake this journey I need to share a bit more of my life and the circumstances that surround it.

First of all I am in the process of getting a dog. This isn't just a dog to me however; it will be like a child. I have a cat, but a cat isn't a constant companion that can go anywhere, do anything and readily accept changing circumstances with little or no ill effect. I have been in contact with a breeder of Pharaoh Hounds, and am on the waiting list for one of these magnificent canines. I chose a Pharaoh for a few distinctive reasons: they are somewhat feline in personality, they are the most statuesque dog I've seen in a very long time, and they have short hair with no oil glands so their smell is negligible.

In my work life, my department and I are the subject of a custody battle between the body shop and the parts/service department. I have done a good job of turning over rocks and discovering the issues that have not been resolved, and of course illuminating them in order for them to be solved by those with the power to do so. My department's efficiency has increased, the teamwork and environment has improved, and my vendors have realized less return percentages. What this means to me is that there is less work being done twice thus eliminating, to a certain extent, the hassle of harboring return parts. I do not know how the custody battle will end, but I can't help but hope that I become part of the Body Shop both in name and on paper.

My next entry will be the opening of my journey towards the enlightenment of my readers and myself as we begin our journey along with Mr. Robert Pirsig.

No comments: