Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Music

I've been turning a musical jam into a song, co-writing with a friend of mine. I've said before that he was a much more gifted theorist than am I, after yesterday I realized that even more than that, he's a more highly skilled guitarist as well. I didn't feel smaller or humbled jamming with him though, I felt more of an urge to play more, to play harder and to regain that which I've lost through disuse.
The song is turning out quite well. I'm beginning to feel alot more comfortable with it. In the past I've done everything myself when writing. This time I've got someone to share ideas with someone that has a different background than I do. Had I been doing this by myself, everything would have been written, recorded and filed by now, never to be heard of until I shared it.

As a child I remember an old religious song we used to sing:

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
Won't hide it under a bushel no
I'm gonna let it shine...

Maybe I've been letting my light hide under a bushel when I should have been letting it shine.

No comments: