Friday, February 03, 2006

What in the world?

Why do I seem to get sick more often now that I'm older? Why does it take so long to recover? Blah blah blah. I don't feel like writing much anymore. Possibly I'm getting myself stupid again. I guess I should explain:

When I was younger, as in high school age, I loved to read. I read every book I could get my hands upon. After I went into the Marines, I did not read that much. In fact, I didn't read at all for around a year or longer. Then I discovered the base library. I started to read again, only this time it took me so much longer to read a book than I'd have ever expected. I would say that it took me somewhere around a month to read Stephen King's "Pet Semetary."

At that point I realized that a mind must be exercised, just as muscles on a body need to be exercised. It's all about maintaining a balance. And I felt stupid. I started reading voraciously. I sandwiched books with pulp fiction, pulp fiction with classics, classics with Stephen King. I discovered Tom Clancy. I discovered Dale Brown. FICTION man, fiction!

So now, as life leads me down a similar path, I find myself with less time to read, and my eyes are getting older and it's harder to focus on fine print. Consequently I don't read much anymore. The downside of not reading is that I don't write as much either. The combination of not reading and not writing has led to the atrophy of my mind. This atrophy concerns me as my motivation to read and write has also waned. Perhaps it is a sign of the times.

No comments: